It Means I’ve Learned To Do More Things More Easily Than I Could When I Was 10, 20, & 30 Yrs. Old! Duh!
What got me going on thinking about finding as many studies as I could – to find out more about improving my brain’s function was an incident that happened a couple of days ago on the 2nd Avenue Downtown Bus. It was a cold sunny day and as I snuggled myself into my window seat, I found myself immersed in “old people’s thoughts”!
I was thinking “Now that I’m old…I hardly remember being in all those buildings that I’m looking at: building I used to go into to buy things or to meet people for lunch, or be at meetings that were held in them, etc., etc., etc.
I looked out the window and it seemed as though the last 40 years swept by without my having any control over them! I started thinking that “Time flies (as the say) so quickly I’ll probably be leaving this planet very soon!
“Ah,” I thought …
• ”I forgot I used to spend time there!
• “I can’t even remember all, if any of the other people’s names!:
• “ OMG my son used to take a class down there! That was over 40 years ago now! What was the name of that kid he’d play with and what did his parents look like? I think we used to have dinner together.
• OMG! Time is nothing now. It just flies and flies and I’ll be 120 years old in no time!
• “Are any of my high schools friends still living, aside from those I speak too?
• How much longer will I be able to stay in my condo?
• Which rest home will my son be able to get me into?
It wasn’t till I’d almost reached my destination that I realized that it would be natural for time to seem to go more quickly because the more we do the same things the SIMPLER they become for us and seem to pass by more EASILY and QUICKLY.
I thought –“Hey, wait a minute! That’s really a good thing, no?”
Remember how long it seemed to take – when I was In the 2nd Grade – till it was finally lunch hour?
I started humming a song I wrote the words and music to called, “Never a Freshman Again!” It’s become the theme of the special cabaret series I present at The Metropolitan Room in NYC.
YIKES! That was, actually me thinking? Guess what?
I felt myself “wake up”, which is the only term I can think of and I clearly felt that the “old person’s thoughts” that were coming into my mind as though they were coming in for a character in a show I was writing.
Thankfully, I realized that I WAS CREATING A CHARACTER “OLD BOBBIE”! “OLD BOBBIE” WASN’T A REAL PERSON! Not yet at least and, she probably never will be a real character.
I’m quite sure that YOU don’t have to create “Old You!” either!